Thursday, December 27, 2007

She's a genius . . . part 1001

My daughter of almost 8 sometimes uses a stapler for her projects. We have one. It's a POS. But, for light work it seemed to be fine. The last several times we've used it, though, it really wasn't working. It wouldn't shoot a staple. You had to open it, pound it a little, then maybe it would shoot a staple. Sure, I checked it over but I always chalked it up to being a cheap stapler.

Well, my daughter was trying to make a booklet the other day and was having the same problems with the stapler. She asked me to help her with it. Once again, I opened it, pounded it, and got it to shoot a couple of staples. Enough for her and her booklet. Afterward, I vowed to buy a new one.

A couple of minutes later my daughter comes up to me and says: "Daddy, I think I found the problem. There's a staple stuck." I was fairly certain she meant that there was a staple stuck in the opening of the stapler, as is often the case. She had the stapler open and showed me a staple stuck under the mechanism that pushed the staples forward via a spring. Sure enough, a closer look revealed just what she said. I was dumbfounded. I got out my leatherman and took the staple out. After which the stapler worked beautifully.

I couldn't help but tackle my girlie to the floor and give her about a hundred kisses, telling her all the while I thought she was a genius.

And thanked her for reminding me, yet again, that I am not.

No comments: