Friday, March 28, 2008

Nipple rings and airport scanners

I don't have a huge opinion on the woman, Mandi Hamlin, who had to remove her nipple rings in order to board a flight. She was ordered by the TSA to remove them after she caused the hand held scanner to go off. She passed through the walk through detector no problem. In her case, removing the piercings proved somewhat difficult and she needed a pair of pliers to do the, not surprisingly, painful job. Of course, now she's suing and wants an apology from the TSA.

Do I think she could have been privately observed by a female officer to ensure compliance? Yes. Do I think the TSA over reacted? Yes. Is this worth a lawsuit? No. But I do think the TSA could apologize.

My larger question is this . . . what 37 year old wears nipple rings? That's kind of pathetic.

No comments: