Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Oscars Part 2

I figured now would be a good time to catch up on my Oscar opinions . . . while Obama is making some "historic" speech. Oh, don't worry. I've DVR'ing it and can hear it the background. I just can't sit there and listen for an hour. Doesn't matter who it is.

Anyway . . .

As far as fashion goes, it went with the show over all . . . badly. Never before have I seen so many poor choices in both dress and makeup. Lots of strapless. And I'm not a fan of strapless. A few weren't too bad. Notably, Angelina Jolie. She looked much better than the last time we saw her wearing some frock. Natalie Portman looked great. Amy Adams, too. All three had strapless dresses that were fitted well and looked glamorous. Hated Angie's hair, though. There were a few women with that swept high style. Bleech.

Worst dressed. Heidi Klum and her Jetson's outfit. Jessica Biel who wrapped a bed sheet around herself for the evening. Sarah Parker. While the dress itself wasn't bad, her boobs looked ridiculous. Jacked up and pushed under her arms. Not good. Plus she looked like a cocker spaniel with that hair. Marisa Tomei wore her wedding dress. A few women wore mermaid style gowns . . . yuk. Tilda Swinton, Sophia Loren, Meryl Streep . . . all bad. Nicole Kidman wore something that looked like it was sprouting. And Sharon Stone showed up in some see through number that screamed "I'm old and pathetic! Look at me!"

My girl, Jen Anniston . . . underwhelming. Hated her hair.

I'm not sure what to call what Reese Witherspoon had on . . . other than lame.

Worst dressed though . . . Whoopi Goldberg. Looked like she was going to a sleep over at the Jungle Book. Wow.

I could literally go on and on. The economic slump hit hollywood as many had to obviously let their stylists go.

It's easier to name the best dressed. While not a big fan of asymmetrical, Freida Pinto looked great. I loved the color and style. It suited her well. Hair and makeup, all perfect. Gorgeous. Anne Hathaway. Almost perfect. I think straps would have worked better, but that's my bias. She looked awesome. A necklace might have helped. Halle Berry. In spite of having a mermaid style, strapless gown, she looked great. Hair and makeup, perfect.

Best dressed? Most people hated it. I looked and looked . . . and wanted to hate it. Not for any particular reason. Just seemed like I should. Miley Cyrus. I thought she looked great. Very different, interesting dress. Yes, it was very layered, but I thought for her age and the event . . . and compared to what everyone else wore, she looked fantastic.

Honorable mention . . . Tina Fey. I like Tina but feel she tries too much too often with her showing off her breasts all the time. For the Oscars, all she had to do was lose the shoulder pads. Didn't need them. Plus, they're so last year. Great fit, cute hair. She looked great.

As I said, though, the bad out numbered the good. By a huge margin. Even the men didn't score well. More on that later.

2 comments:

Holly o:) said...

Wow. Remind me not to invite you to my wedding if you hate strapless dresses that much! I'd be afraid of getting a scathing review like this on August 2nd! :P

Jimi5150 said...

Well, I simply think one can attain more versatility with strapped dresses . . . that look nice. There are some aesthetic reasons straps, and sleeves, are better for some women, as well. They can look nice. Fit is key. The Oscars simply had a lot of strange, ugly, and ill-fitted styles.