Monday, May 18, 2009

Get your motor runnin . . . head out on the highway!

Well, in this case, get your pedals turnin, and head out on the, err . . . road. Not since sometime before I broke my ankle have I been out on a bike. In other words, years. I've been wanting to get back on, but with little motivation and the arthritis having a larger say in matters, I just haven't.

Well, it took my girlie to get me back in a swimming pool, and now, it took my girlie to get me back on a bike. A daddy can only walk around so much to watch his little girl on a bike. It's boring. The obviously answer . . . get on a bike and ride with her.

So, I did. First, thanks to all the smart people in the world for modern pharmacology. And heating pads. Thank you all.

Second, I'm doing it. The biggest bummer of having arthritis in the back and neck, is the constant pain and inability to do the things I used to be able to do. Running is out. Forever. But, getting on a bike and pedaling away . . . nice. I'm huffing and puffing a little right now, and the knees are sore, but I'm doing it. And, it's great. My girlie is very happy. We bike all over the neighborhood, in the cemetary, and at the park. Over the weekend we went out 5 times! I think we did about 10 miles all told.

Just what I need, too. This past winter was a tough winter as far as pain goes. Anything I can do to keep the body moving, lose some weight, and provide some motivation through the winter months will help the bones and ease the pain.

5 comments:

Soapbox Jill said...

Speaking of biking, has the "bike and walk to work week" rage hasn't hit Milwaukee, yet? (I take it on at Real Debate Wis., where I first found yr site)

Ah, I remember those biking with the kids days...too soon, you'll be handing them the car keys. Enjoy!

Jimi5150 said...

I know, I know . . . don't rush me!

Chris from Racine said...

Good on you Jimi - it's good for you and for girlie. Seems to make you both quite happy. :)

Anonymous said...

Ugh! You just reminded me I need to help my little girl learn to ride hers...sans training wheels...I get to do it at 44 because my husband is 52 and just cracked a rib doing something or other!

Jimi5150 said...

We were late in the game, as well. 50, and I'm trying to run along side my girlie and her bike.

Not good. Not good.

Finally, our niece took her out and got her going.

Much to my back's and knee's delight.