Friday, December 26, 2008

Liver or Fruitcake?

I'm reminded of this as it's the holidays. There seems to be no more detested edible, even more so than liver, than fruitcake.

Some time ago I came across some at a party. I believe I was in my 20's. Anyway, there it was . . . pressed dried fruit stuffed in some tin . . . I thought it looked pretty. Anyway, after hearing so much about this "don't open it we'll rewrap it and give it to someone else" dried fruit frankenstein, I decided to try it.

I liked it!

I remember eating half of what was there. Again, I'm reminded of this not just because of the holidays, but also because we have a stollen sitting in our kitchen.

BLEEECH!

I'll take a fruitcake, any day, over a stollen. I think they take a used football, pour icing on it, and call it stollen. Yuk. I don't get it.

So, I ask you . . . have you ever actually tried fruitcake? Do you, like me, like it?

4 comments:

Coop said...

Fruitcake, well made, is actually quite tasty. Same goes for stollen. I've got a few different recipes bouncing around the kitchen, all of which are pretty good. I didn't get around to making one this year as I just had too much else going on. Maybe next year.

Jimi5150 said...

I read somewhere that fruitcake is the only dessert people don't buy for themselves. SOunds like that could be true. Never thought of actually making one. Huh. I should try that myself.

Phelony Jones said...

I adore fruitcake. Not a stollen girl. And I write this with great peril as my mother gave me one on Christmas eve

Jimi5150 said...

Ooooh, I'm telling. Of course, if you mother reads this you'll really be in trouble.

Anyway, glad to know there are more fruitcakes out there.

I mean, people who like fruitcakes.